iFollow is an independent artist based out of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. He brings to the table a unique and refreshing blend of hip hop, folk, spoken word, contemporary and acoustic styling’s that weave their way from light-hearted and gentle to powerful and poignant. Being a connoisseur of a whole gamut of musical genres and always pushing himself to grow as a writer and musician, variety is the name of the game for iFollow. His debut album, “Journeys”, showcases this variety and aspires to break open the limitations of genre, inviting music lovers of all kinds to a broader, and freer form of expression and connection.
- Who are your musical inspirations & Influences?
My three biggest influences (in no particular order) are Heath Mcnease, City and Colour, and Relient K.
– Heath McNease makes both acoustic and rap music, which are two of my favourite genres to create and I’ve never heard any other crossover between them until him.
– I love Dallas Green’s work in City and Colour and he has inspired me to try things in my own music that I may not have otherwise
– Relient K, an incredibly versatile group who have long been my favourite band, refuse to be accurately labeled by any one style or genre, and yet they still bring a remarkable level of excellence to everything they do. They are the evidence to me that a performer can do well at more than one thing.
- What local band other than your guys would you like people to know about?
– Flying Fox and the Hunter Gatherers meld a large number of styles and instruments together in a wonderful way
– The Second-Hand Pants are quite simple, but undeniably clever and fun
– The Color and Roger Roger are two terrific bands in which friends of mine are members
- Gear question! What guitars, amps, drums, basses, and effects do you use?
My guitar is a Seagull acoustic with John Pearse strings, and my ukulele is an Eddie Fin with D’Addario strings. Other instruments have been comprised of whatever was available at the time.
- If you could put together a perfect band with anyone alive or passed away, who would be in the band? (6 players, keys, 2 guitars, bass, drums, vocals)
Keys & Vocals – Matt Thiessen (Relient K)
Electric Guitar – Mick Doerksen (DreamQuest)
Acoustic Guitar & Vocals – Dallas Green (City and Colour)
Bass – Joshua Woodard (A Day To Remember)
Drums & Vocals – Aaron Gillespie (The Almost)
Lead Vocals – Gracie Schram
- What song are you currently digging?
My current favourite song is “Heart Remaker” by Gracie Schram. A wonderfully soothing song with soaring vocals and powerful lyrics.
- What is the future for the band? Any plans to record?
I just finished building a new recording studio in my place and am in the writing process for a few experimental albums focusing on the three main genres I like to create: folk, hip hop, and spoken word. I’m also seeking more opportunities to perform live as I become more confident in my stage performance.
“Music is as natural, and as necessary, as breathing”
Web & Social